Monday, October 5, 2009

Morbid Monday: Death in dreams

"To sleep, perchance to dream", the famous line from Shakespeare's Hamlet.
That particular quote is from the even more famous "To be or not to be" soliloquy delivered by Hamlet himself: "For in that sleep of death what dreams may come / When we have shuffled off this mortal coil / Must give us pause". This quote is about death: suicide in particular, of course. Why is it so important to me? Because of its meaning of death.
Hamlet's speech haunted me after my nightmare the other night. I awoke on Saturday morning, crying hysterically. Why? I was eulogizing at my friends' funeral. A dream of a rather violent death of a friend with me powerless to stop it. What did it all mean?
Usually with dreams, you take the literal approach: death in a dream means death in real life. But not so. I told my Mom about this dream and she asked "Is there a wedding that you might be going to?" A wedding? How did she know I will be attending a wedding this weekend?
Here is one interpretation of death in a dream. This one eases my mind a little.
But why all the violence? I wanted to jump out of bed and call Double D right away to make sure he was all right but my BF stopped me since it was 4am PDT. Turns out he was awake at that time and when I called him later that day, I'm sure I spooked him with all the "death talk"...
But there was one reoccurring theme in the dream: I made sure everyone knew that I cared for Double D deeply in life (and death) and that our friendship ran deeper than friends - he was more like a family member.
So, does the intensity of the dream signify the intensity of the marriage I will witness? Or does it mean that the dream is not referencing the marriage I'm thinking of (between long-time cutest couple ever Jen & Nick) or is it referencing another marriage that was supposed to have taken place a few weeks ago but was terminated due to certain circumstances (hence the violence and the significance of the Hamlet quote)? I cannot be certain but you just never know...

Kisses,
Katzi
S.L.Y.A.S.D.I.

No comments:

Post a Comment