Monday, May 11, 2009

Dub Step, DnB and a Search and Rescue Mission via the Twitter Machine

I had been waiting for this event to happen ever since I saw that Eskmo was going to be on the bill. Then, I was informed by my good friend at rClique that he, too, would be taking part (Crookhaven). So, I had to go. I shrugged off the $25 cover (WTF?! I know, right) and made my way in early (9-ish) - just to make sure I didn't miss Eskmo.
When I got in, I was greeted by teenagers. Teenagers all fucked up on Ecstasy and whatever else they do now. And glowsticks. Lots and lots of glowsticks. And glowstick acrobatics - which I haven't seen in quite a while. And Captain Crunk.
Yes, Captain Crunk was in the midst of tearing up the decks for the kids to shake their asses to. Only one slight problem - Abelton happened to be a punk and crash on him towards the end of his set. No worries, though. He brought it back full force and the first pass out of the night happened! I'm not sure what caused it but when the Masquerade secruity crew finally picked the kid up, he looked like he was pretty fucked up.
Meanwhile, I was trying to figure out how to direct message on Twitter from my phone. Turns out, I can't so I had to @Reply my friend who I was suppposed to meet there. It was quite the ordeal since my Send/Receive for my email notifications (the only way I know I have a direct message on Twitter) is 30 minutes. I tried to find him but I gave up after walking around looking like a crazy person. So many teenagers to push out of my way. Joy!
To my surprise as I made it back upstairs, Eskmo was on. Since the place wasn't really all that crowded (yet), I was front and center for all of his set - which made me really happy since that's all I really wanted. For that moment, I forgot I was alone, I forgot about my friend location quest, I forgot about the $25 cover, forgot about the annoying teenagers that were bumping into me in their drug-induced comas and just let it happen. I went back to my 18 y/o self and remembered what it was like to go to a party. My legs were so sore after Eskmo's set but the quest was back on.
Up and down the stairs, legs burning, almost pushing people over for not moving fast enough, I was @Replying my location and my outfit to be better located but I didn't reach my friends' locations in time because of the 30 minute delay on my email notifications. I could have just kept Twitter on but my battery was dying. Fast. After my front and center adventure for Evol Intent, I kept my ears open for Crookhaven. Downstairs, in Hell at 1am (Twitter update).
Finally! The search was over! We exchanged all of maybe 4 sentences and then Crookhaven's set began. It was the perfect ending to the evening - even though I think there was someone else on in Heaven afterwards. The minimal crowd made it better for me since it was very chill and they slowed down the evening right. I waited for about 30 minutes after Crookhaven's set to possibly exchange more than 4 sentences with my friend but business had to be handled, so maybe next time.
All in all, Friday was amazing from start to finish. Good music, great DJs, no pretentious assholes standing in the back trying not to sweat out their hair and makeup. It was like the good old days - people dancing, having a good time. As the night wore on, the crowd, it seemed, got better and better (and bigger and bigger). It reminded me why I love drum and bass and dub step so much. Once the beat begins, you can't stop moving and that's what it's all about.




Katzi
S.L.Y.A.S.D.I.

2 comments:

  1. Twitter: Anti-Social Social Networking!

    My apologies for being back-and-forth so much during the evening, it was quite a long evening and I was definitely having some explorations in hedonism that may have affected my communication skills! Thanks for coming out again, and thanks for the awesome write-up on the blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so distressed because my phone was dying! The internet really kills my battery :(
    I knew you had stuff to take care of - it's totally cool. I was just glad that I came out, I was finally able to meet you and I had a really, really great night. Definitely next time, though! Keep me posted :D

    ReplyDelete