Thursday, December 6, 2012

Good-bye Final Cut Pro...Hello Avid!

The last few days have been rough. We filmed part of our education pieces, feverishly packed releases and most recently, I had to disassemble my office (again) and rearrange it (again) so that my workstation can transition from Final Cut Pro 7 to Avid Symphony 6.



Hello, my name is Katzi and I'm...I'm...stumped.

I haven't touched Avid since their FCPX disaster known as Avid Xpress DV and that was...errr...roughly a decade ago. That's a long time out of the Avid game. Granted, ALL editing systems do exactly the same thing - well, almost - and now I'm having to undo all the "bad habits" I learned in Final Cut and transition to the industry standard. 
While it's great and everything, I'm super intimidated because once again, I'm thrown to the wolves on my own. Maybe I'll channel my inner Liam Neeson via The Grey and do some makeshift Wolverine claws with broken bottles and go balls to the wall (my usual way)



OR

I can get my shit together and just make it work, dammit!



My problem is that I'm impatient. I'm also a visual learner. I also need some kind of support system. And I also need someone to remind me that it's okay to walk away. I shouldn't have to go through this alone and I know some Avid savvy folks but it all comes down to time and money. They'll want to be paid for helping me since I'll be the one "officially" on the clock but we just don't have those resources yet and that makes me sad. I guess the only support system I have is the notepad I took bare bones notes on and my dear friend, Google.

To tell you the truth, I've been counting down the days until my office upgraded to Avid and now that it's here, I'm a nervous wreck. Sure, I want nothing more than to have the title of Avid Editor under my name but now, I'm wondering if I should stick with it or keep my focus where I've been keeping it - with my true love: After Effects.

Maybe I have cold feet. Maybe it's first day jitters. Either way, I'm nervous that it'll take me more time than I thought to break all my bad habits and time is something I don't have at work, unfortunately. I should probably calm down and collect my thoughts.

I'm grateful for this opportunity and I'm super grateful that the company switched to Avid so I just need to chill, reorganize my brain and take it one day at a time...

My old man said: Remember, you control it, it does not control you.  Well said.

No comments:

Post a Comment